How to Choose a Solitaire?
“Solitaire” is synonymous with engagement ring, classiness, eternal love and royalty. Isn’t it? Solitaire is every girl’s dream and they truly deserve it! It comes in gorgeous ring designs, pendants, earrings as well as a nose ring. In the world of jewellery, Solitaire has made its place as the most preferred choice among the masses to proclaim their love for their life partner. For centuries, it has been a sign of “true love” and nothing has replaced this fact.
If diamond is every girl’s best friend then, solitaire is the best of them all! Solitaires are mesmerising and most valued gemstones. They are sparkling gemstones that outshine everything. Solitaire’s are gifted to celebrate special moments in life. It is apt for daily wear and special occasions.
Solitaire is a timeless elegance and seeing a colorless, sparkling stone is to die for! Recognising a true and authentic certified solitaire diamond is not a cake walk. You might end up buying a fake stone too! If you’re looking to buy a solitaire diamond, then you have come to the right place!
This is a solitaire guide that will help you to buy an authentic piece whether online or at a store. You can find several modern and trendy solitaire designs on Amolya as per your taste and budget.
Did You Know?
During the Great Depression, people were not keen on buying diamonds. In order to make people buy diamonds, De Beers came up with the idea to denote solitaires with romance and marriage. Ever since, proposing with a solitaire diamond ring has been a trend. De Beers made solitaire diamonds famous through his marketing campaigns.
What is a Solitaire Diamond?
In a nutshell, solitaire is a single diamond or a gemstone. It is set with a single diamond on yellow gold, white gold or platinum. The most popular among masses is the engagement or wedding rings. However, solitaire design is not limited to rings only. Solitaire can be placed in a mangalsutra, as a heavy necklace design, solitaire earrings and solitaire pendants. The whole idea is to show the beauty of the stone without setting it with any side stone.
Diamonds do have resale value. In order to get the best value, get it exchanged from the jeweller you bought. At Amolya Jewellers, you would also get a customisation option. Customisation allows you to design jewellery as per your budget and preference.
Popular Diamond shapes in Solitaire Engagement rings:
There are various shapes available in solitaire diamond rings. They vary depending on the shape of the diamond. Let’s take a look:
- Round Solitaire Engagement Ring:
- Princess Cut Engagement Ring:
- Emerald Cut Engagement Ring:
- Oval Solitaire Engagement Ring:
- Marquise Solitaire Engagement Ring:
- Cushion Solitaire Engagement Ring:
How to select the right solitaire stone?
Solitaire has proved the most said phrase “less is more” true! While selecting a solitaire stone, you must look for the quality and its features. A good quality solitaire can add up to your elegance and radiance. Solitaire is represented by 4Cs of diamond: Cut, Clarity, Colour and Carat weight.
When selecting the solitaire, you must look for quality and brilliance of the stone! They are very different from other diamonds which can be perceived from the eye of an expert.
Let’s look at each of the C’s in detail.
- Cut: The cut of the solitaire can enhance its beauty to a great extent. It is the most significant of the four factors. Cut reflects the brilliance and quality of the solitaire diamond. There are numerous ways to cut a solitaire diamond such as oval, round, square, emerald, princes, marquise, trillion and others. The better the cut, the better is the look of the diamond. Make sure the cut of the solitaire is good and it shines brightly. Oval and marquise cut will make the stone look a little bigger. The round cut makes it look brighter and shiner.
- Clarity: You’ll be surprised to know that solitaires do come in certain imperfections. Yes, solitaire is a natural stone. The internal imperfections are called inclusion and external imperfections are called blemishes. All this influences the clarity of the diamond stone. Most often, these imperfections are not visible with a naked eye. While selecting the solitaire you must select the one on high grade. This means it will be low on imperfections.
- Colour: Diamond comes in many hues such as it can be from colorless to light brown and a tint of yellow. Colourless diamonds are rare and in high demand. Additionally, they are the most expensive of all. The more colorless is your solitaire, the higher will be it’s value. If you wish to choose a high-quality stone, then opt for a colorless or close to colorless diamond. Choose your solitaire wisely! The colorless solitaire will look good on white gold, while a diamond with a hint of yellow will look perfectly good on yellow gold.
- Carat weight: The carat is the weight of your solitaire in terms of carat metrics. One carat is equal to 1/5th of gram. It is further divided into 100 points. Carat has no influence on the beauty of the diamond but it can greatly determine its price. Additionally, two stones in equal carat weight can differ much in value. This is because of the difference in their cut, clarity and color. So, consider the carat weight of your solitaire stone after the other 3 Cs.
You must consider all the above factors while selecting the solitaire. At our store, Solitaires are handcrafted consciously to make you feel good and look good. Does all this sound stressful? Fret not! Our diamond expert will guide you to pick the best solitaire in your budget.
Mistakes to avoid when buying a solitaire:
Buying a solitaire in any form is a huge investment! You obviously want the best value for your money. So, avoid making following mistakes when buying a solitaire diamond.
- Not doing your research: Do not rush while buying a solitaire. Understand your requirement first. Also, determine your budget for the solitaire diamond. You want to stick to your budget so understand the 4cs and decide the diamond accordingly. All this will help you to make a better choice.
- Not opting for certification: While buying gemstone, do not overlook the importance of certification. A certificate by GIA is issued on the basis of 4Cs. The certificate will tell you clearly about the cut, color, clarity and weight of the solitaire. You also get to know if the diamond is a natural one or not. When you get a certificate from authorised dealer you are rest assured about your purchase. This will reduce the risk of buying an inferior design and paying more. So, always, always ask for certified diamonds.
- Not going for a reputed retailer: Reputation is very important while buying jewellery. To know the authenticity of the diamond, a reputed retailer is the best choice. A reputed retailer will give guarantee on its products. You can buy jewellery online as well from a reputed website who sells high-quality and certified jewellery. You can check reviews of the website to assess the reputation of the online buyers.
If you avoid these mistakes, you can make an informed decision. It is rightly said, “A diamond is forever”. A solitaire is a highlight of any jewellery set. So, select the right solitaire and enjoy it’s beauty forever.