Jewellery Care Guide
Jewellery is an intimate and a cherished accessory for every woman. Understanding of caring for your jewellery can help preserve its shine, lustre, beauty and keep it sparkling for years to come.
It is vital to take care of your jewellery to protect it from germs and hindrances that may damage them. When you purchase jewellery, it’s a huge investment. You put your hard-earned money to treasure your jewellery for lifetime! All jewellery at Amolya are special and hand-crafted in our workshop.
Every jewellery requires cleaning occasionally. If you take a look at your own jewellery, you would notice that your jewellery is tarnished and just grimy. This means it is time to clean your jewellery easily and safely.
Here are some simple home-tips to take care of your jewellery:
Cleaning of your jewellery:
It is important to clean your jewellery without losing its lustre.
You can clean your jewellery easily at home. Just follow these simple steps:
- Clean your jewellery with warm water mixed with a mild dish soap and soft brush. You can do this once a week to keep it germ-free. You may use sanitizers to clean the hard gemstones and solid golds. Don’t wash it in the sink as you might lose your jewellery. Wash it with clean water in a different bowl.
- Some jewels such as pearls, amber, coral, turquoise, opal, calcite, tourmaline, kunzite and emerald may lose their lustre if washed in water. You can clean these jewellery with a soft cloth to preserve its beauty.
- Silver jewellery can get tarnished easily because of its soft lustre. You can clean it up by mixing lemon juice and clean water. Another way is to add toothpaste to your jewel and clean it off with cotton.
- Kundan or polki jewellery are delicate hence they must be kept away from water and moisture. Keep them in butter paper to preserve its shine and clean it up by gently wiping the surface of the jewellery to make it look dazzling.
- Your precious jewels must be kept in separate boxes to maintain its shine for longer, prevent scratching, chipping and entaglement. You can keep them in an airtight box, zip-lock bag to keep it away from germs.
- Gemstones are precious and they may get damaged when exposed to direct sunlight or heat. Hence, keep them away from direct exposure, moisture and extreme temperatures as much as possible.
- Perfumes may damage your jewels. So before you wear them, sprinkle perfume on yourself and at last wear your jewelry.
- The surface of the pears can easily get scratched if not cleaned with care. Hence, clean them with soft cloth to keep them away from germs and scratch free!
- You can also try an ultrasonic cleaner. Ultrasonic cleaner will not remove the tarnish but it will help to clean the jewellery that has a lot of crevices where dirt accumulates and settles. But don’t use ultrasonic cleansers for silver, pearl, gemstones as it can damage some finishes. Use it with caution.
- Remember that your jewellery must be kept away from direct sunlight, humidity and moisture. Store them in a cool, dry place.
- Avoid wearing jewellery in chlorinated water and sea.
- Additionally, avoid wearing jewellery during the workout, gardening and housekeeping work.
We suggest getting your jewellery cleaned and inspected by a professional every 6 months. Scratches and knicks are part of normal signs of wearing jewellery everyday. We at Amolya jewellers, use highest quality gold and diamonds hand-picked from our favourite natural gemstones and freshwater pearls. All good quality jewellery still requires a little bit of tender love and care.